Indoor Air Safety:
By limiting the amount of outside air that gets into your place of shelter, you can reduce your exposure to radiation.
Here are some steps you can take in the event of a radiation emergency:
- Turn off fans, air conditioners, and forced-air heating units that bring air in from the outside, if possible.
- Close and lock all windows and doors.
- Close fireplace dampers.
- Page last updated August 8, 2014
- Page last reviewed August 22, 2013
- Content source: Radiation Studies Branch (RSB), Division of Environmental Hazards and Health Effects (EHHE), National Center for Environmental Health (NCEH), Coordinating Center for Environmental Health and Injury Prevention (CCEHIP)
Get email updates
To receive email updates about this page, enter your email address: