COCA Email Updates: October 22 - November 5, 2012
If you have any questions on these or other clinical issues, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Available for download:November 5, 2012 COCA Email Update
COCA News and Announcements
Recent COCA Call/Webinar
Date:Thursday, October 25, 2012
During this COCA Call, subject matter experts provided updates to the current epidemiology of the outbreak and discussed CDC’s recommended treatment guidance and rationale.
Additional COCA Conference Calls
Free CE credit/contact hours (CME, CNE, ACPE, CEU, CECH, and AAVSB/RACE) are available for most COCA calls.
CDC Emergency Response – Multistate Meningitis Outbreak Investigation
Updated:Multistate Fungal Meningitis Outbreak Investigation – October 21 (CDC)
CDC and FDA are coordinating a multi-state investigation of fungal meningitis among patients who received an epidural steroid injection. Investigation into the exact source is ongoing; however, interim data show that all infected patients received injection with preservative-free methylprednisolone acetate (80mg/ml) prepared by New England Compounding Center, located in Framingham, MA.
- Frequently Asked Questions For Clinicians: Multistate Fungal Meningitis Outbreak Investigation – October 23 (CDC)
- CDC Health Alert Network (HAN): Contamination Identified in Additional Medical Products from New England Compounding Center – November 1 (CDC)
- CDC Health Alert Network (HAN): Voluntary Recall of All Ameridose Medical Products – November 1 (CDC)
- Laboratory Testing and Results from the Outbreak – November 2 (CDC)
- Interim Treatment Guidance for Central Nervous System (CNS) and Parameningeal Infections Associated with Injection of Potentially Contaminated Steroid Products – October 23 (CDC)
- Interim Treatment Guidance for Osteoarticular Infections Associated With Injection of Contaminated Steroid Products – October 23 (CDC)
- Interim Guidance for Management of Asymptomatic Persons Exposed to Potentially Contaminated Steroid Products – October 23 (CDC)
- Guidance on Management of Asymptomatic Patients Who Received Epidural or Paraspinal Injections with Contaminated Steroid Products – October 23 (CDC)
- Case Definitions for Meningitis and Septic Arthritis – October 24 (CDC)
- Definitions for Infections under Investigation in Patients Exposed to NECC Products Other Than the Three Contaminated Lots of Preservative-Free Methylprednisolone Acetate – October 24 (CDC)
- Diagnostic Testing for Septic Arthritis and Specimen Submission to CDC – Outbreak Associated with Injection of Potentially Contaminated Steroid Products – October 16 (CDC)
- Diagnostic Testing and Specimen Shipping for Central Nervous System and Parameningeal Infections – October 19 (CDC)
CDC News and Announcements
"Did You Know?" is a weekly feature from the Office for State, Tribal, Local and Territorial Support to highlight prevention activities. The series features research and program activity from CDC. Please access, use, and share this information broadly with your colleagues and partners.
CDC Science Clips: Volume 4, Issue: 43 – October 29 (CDC)
Each week select science clips are shared with the public health community to enhance awareness of emerging scientific knowledge. The focus is applied public health research and prevention science that has the capacity to improve health now.
Public Health Preparedness
Public Health Matters Blog – Outbreak Investigation: Meningitis – October 23 (CDC)
CDC and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) are investigating fungal infections among patients who received epidural steroid injections (medication injected into the spine) with contaminated medication.
Emergency Preparedness and Response – (CDC)
Find resources for All Hazards and Specific Hazards preparedness.
Emergency Preparedness and Response Training Resources for Clinicians – (CDC)
Find online and in-person training centers and resources.
Natural Disasters and Severe Weather
Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR)
MMWR publications are prepared by the CDC. Electronically Subscribe
October 19, 2012 / Vol. 61 / No. 43Download .pdf document of this issue
- Evaluation of 11 Commercially Available Rapid Influenza Diagnostic Tests — United States, 2011–2012
- Global Routine Vaccination Coverage, 2011
October 12, 2012 / Vol. 61 / No. 42Download .pdf document of this issue
- Progress Toward Global Eradication of Dracunculiasis — January 2011–June 2012
- Progress Toward Poliomyelitis Eradication — Chad, January 2011–August 2012
Infectious, Vector-Borne and Zoonotic Diseases
Weekly Flu View – (CDC)
This is a weekly influenza surveillance report prepared by CDC Influenza Division. All data are preliminary and may change as CDC receives more reports.
Updated:2012 West Nile Virus – October 30 (CDC)
As of October 30, 2012, 48 states have reported West Nile virus infections in people, birds, or mosquitoes. A total of 4,891 cases of West Nile virus disease in people, including 223 deaths, have been reported to CDC
Current Travel Warnings – November 5 (US Department of State)
Travel Warnings are issuedwhen long-term, protracted conditions that make a country dangerous or unstable lead the State Department to recommend that Americans avoid or consider the risk of travel to that country. A Travel Warning is also issued when the U.S. Government's ability to assist American citizens is constrained due to the closure of an embassy or consulate or because of a drawdown of its staff.
Food, Drug and Device Safety
NEW:FDA Statement on Fungal Meningitis Outbreak: Additional Patient Notification Advised – November 1 (FDA)
FDA and CDC laboratories have identified bacteria present in three separate lots (batches) of NECC-supplied preservative-free betamethasone, with each lot producing different culture results, and in a single lot of NECC cardioplegia solution.
MedWatch: The FDA Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program – (HHS/USFDA)
Your FDA gateway for clinically important safety information and reporting serious problems with human medical products.
FoodSafety.gov Reports FDA and USDA Food Recalls, Alerts, Reporting & Resources – November 5 (HHS/UDSA/FDA/CDC/NIH)
For recalls and alerts by both FDA and USDA, or to report a problem or make inquiries.
The CDC and HHS logos are the exclusive property of the Department of Health and Human Services and may not be used for any purpose without prior express written permission. Use of trade names and commercial sources is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by the US Department of Health and Human Services.
Links to non-Federal organizations are provided solely as a service to our users. Links do not constitute an endorsement of any organization by CDC or the Federal Government, and none should be inferred. The CDC is not responsible for the content of the individual organizations.
- Page last reviewed: November 6, 2012
- Page last updated: November 6, 2012
- Content source:
- CDC Healthcare Preparedness Activity (HPA); Division of Strategic National Stockpile (DSNS); Office of Public Health Preparedness and Response (OPHPR)
- Maintained By: