Infection Control – Animal Owners
- Owners of cats with suspected plague should be advised to
consult their physician and local or state health department.
- Animal owners should be advised on the following precautions:
- Confine pets as much as possible.
- Apply a flea control product to reduce the risk of transporting
infected fleas into homes.
- Cats and other mammalian pets should not share sleeping areas with family members.
- All ill animals, especially cats, should be seen by a veterinarian.
- In the event of an intentional plague release, it would also be advised that cats and animals stay indoors while environmental assessment is undertaken.