Laboratory Specimen Collection - Antemortem
- Testing Performed
- Fluorescent antibody
- Specimens to Collect
- Lesion Specimens - swabs of lesions, such as oral cavity
or draining lymph nodes, using culturette, or lymph node aspirate
are the preferred samples, if available.
- Serology - acute and convalescent serum samples of 0.5 ml
should be collected at least 14 days apart.
- Pharyngeal Swabs - for suspicion of plague pneumonia. Use
- It is preferable to collect specimens for culture prior to
administering antibiotics, but samples should still be collected
if antibiotics have been given.
- Many more tests are available than are listed here. Basically,
any test available for human diagnostics is also available for