Bioterrorism Containment - Contact Management
- With any plague case, natural or bioterrorist, public health
authorities will need to conduct investigations to identify
close contacts that need prophylaxis and to look for any cases
so that they may begin treatment as quickly as possible.
- Contacts – Anyone who has been within 6 to 7 feet, or
2 meters, of a coughing patient in the previous 7 days.
- If contacts are found to have fever or cough, they will be
referred for evaluation.
- Those contacts that do not have fever or cough will be placed
on antibiotics for 7 days and monitored for the development
- Those which have contraindications to the antibiotics can
be placed on a fever watch.