Before submitting specimens for testing, you should contact your
public health laboratory for the appropriate shipping and transport
guidelines and to inform the agency regarding the case or incident.
- Respiratory or sputum specimens
- Sterile, screw-capped containers.
- Room temperature.
- If it is known that the materials will be transported within
2 to 24 hours after collection, then store the specimen between
- Blood cultures
- Ship directly to the laboratory at room temperature.
- Hold them at ambient temperature until they are placed
onto the blood culture instrument or incubated.
- Do not refrigerate.