If a radiation emergency occurs, you can take actions to protect yourself, your loved ones, and your pets.
Radiation and Your Health
Radiation can affect the body in a number of ways, and the adverse health effects of exposure may not be apparent for many years.
- Possible Health Effects of Radiation Exposure and Contamination
- Treatments for Radiation Exposure and Contamination
- Health Information for Specific Groups
Information for Professionals
Resources for professionals in making an informed decision during a radiation emergency.
- Public Health Preparedness Capabilities
- Resource Library -- Additional CDC webpages, documents, and videos on radiation emergencies, organized by topic
- Radiation Emergency Toolkits -- FREE toolkits available.
- Radiation Emergency Training and Education -- Trainings, applications and classes related to radiation emergency education.
To order materials, request them through CDC-INFO
Highlights / In The News
The CDC is monitoring the situation in Japan.
At this time:
- There is no travel advisory for Japan because of radiation hazards.
- There is no radiation hazard in the United States from Japan.
- There is no radiation hazard for food, including seafood.
More information on Japan can be found here.
Population Monitoring Guide in Radiation Emergencies, 2nd Edition
NEW! The second edition of this planners guide includes recommendations received from users as well as new information and expanded appendices with related tools and resources.
Radiation Basics Made Simple
NEW! A training module that introduces participants to the fundamentals of radiation and radioactivity. This training features an enhanced lecture-style video and interactive knowledge checks to deliver and reinforce key concepts.
Internal Contamination Clinical Resource (ICCR) Application
NEW! Click here to download an application (for Android devices, iPads, and iPhones) estimating reference concentrations of radionuclides in urine.
- Page last reviewed: July 10, 2014
- Page last updated: October 8, 2014
- Content source:
- Maintained By: